10/24/17

Bottle Pickers & Break In's

There is an ongoing problem in my neighborhood and not a whole lot can or is being done about it. That problem is people breaking into vehicles and ripping open garbage bags in an attempt to find bottles and steal anything they can.



Living in a big city comes with its problems, I will admit, but this issue is getting ridiculous as no one seems to be able to do anything about it. Calling the cops is no help as they are overworked and under staffed as it is, but the cops need to actually catch whoever is committing the crime either red handed on on video showing the culprit's face, which of course they are unable to do as few people have surveillance cameras in their driveways and most people are at work during the day so no one is home to call the cops when a crime is committed.



I happen to be one of the few people in the neighborhood that keeps unusual hours and am home during the day when others are working. Even though, I can't seem to catch the guys in the act, I am certain that investing in a camera will help and I will be installing one asap.

Since September 2016 I have had my fair share of problems, with my garbage bags being torn open and having garbage thrown around the alley, which I originally had blamed on the local crow population until I actually saw someone doing it first hand. I have had a few problems with my car as well, with the taillight being smashed, the back tire being stolen and the car being broken into leaving me one factory ashtray short and my eliminator button being stolen (I don't know why they stole those two useless items).



My neighbors have had their garages and vehicles broken into as well, and with an increase in garbage bags being torn up, the entire neighborhood is forced to keep our garbage inside until the morning of garbage day.
The neighborhood isn't without it's fair share of dogs either, nearly every house on the block has big dogs, but that doesn't seem to deter the bottle pickers at all. I am at the point where, if I was less of a person, I might actually let my dog out of the yard to catch the guy doing this and force him to clean everything up.... Fortunately for whoever it is, I am a good person (or at least I like to think that I am) and I won't let something this petty get the better of me. I have been in the position where picking bottles to survive was my only option, so I can understand the mindset behind someone who riffles through a garbage looking for bottles.



My problem with this starts when the person opening the garbage bags throws it all around the alley causing a huge mess and breaks into or vandalizes the neighborhood vehicles. As far as I am concerned, no matter how broke you are there simply is no excuse for vandalism or breaking into a vehicle. So what have I done to prevent this problem? I park my car in the front of the house, I have nothing of value in my garage and I keep my garbage in the house until the garbage man comes every week. Once I install the surveillance cameras I will park my car in its usual place but I refuse to keep anything valuable in the garage and I am considering continuing to keep my garbage in the house for a while, or at least until there is snow on the ground.

No comments: